Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Relax, grab a hot cuppa coffee then sit back and talk about anything here! If you are unsure where to post then this is your forum to post your topic in. You can discuss topics about living in Australia or any subject you like.
Pepper
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Post by Pepper » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:03 pm

The Olympic games start soon and although they seem controversial I will be interested to watch them. I missed a bit of the last Olympics as when I was in Asia traveling we had hoped for better reception.

Will they be less with no Russians, maybe so but the alternative wasn't better. There are some missing names but there is still a lot to see,

Bill

Re: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Post by Bill » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:36 pm

I'm interested in the track mainly , I will look forward to watching Bolt in his 3rd Olympics.

BaRT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by BaRT » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 am

beach volleyball might be interesting

gaz

Post by gaz » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Australia now 3rd on medal table but doing well. They should get medals on the women’s rugby, women's canoe and more from the swimming...

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Webb

Post by Webb » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:33 pm

The coverage is really crappy by 7. We won gold with Chloe Esposito in the modern pentathlon but we heard nothing about her or even seen her events. All we heard about her was when she was announced the winner. Instead we had 3 channels of events like Zimbabwe v Sweden in hockey.

jessy

Post by jessy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:10 am

I find it irritating when the Australian athletes are always so surprised and overwhelmed when they hear they made it into a final like the women's 400 metre relay team for example. Instead of looking ready to move up a gear they were all laughing, celebrating and shocked they made it to the final. Well ladies, what the heck???? this is the damn Olympics and they say "oh we hope we can get PB's" what?? all the money we give to them you would think they would have much more of a winning attitude instead of the typical we hope to run a personal best time,.. well HELLO this is the OLYMPICS, you had the last 4 years to get your pb's now its time to run for world records.... if they can't do that they why are they there, to fill up the numbers of the quota for the year?

gaz

Post by gaz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:53 am

jessy wrote:if they can't do that they why are they there, to fill up the numbers of the quota for the year?
Here is an article that reflects these same thoughts...
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/ri ... qx5kh.html
The problem is as much philosophical as mathematical. One Australian said she was prepared to pay any price to get to the start line in her event so that she could call herself an Olympian. We won't name her, because she is young and her remark innocent. But following that line, I might as well ask Collingwood to add my name to the bottom of their list so that I can call myself an AFL player.

Simply, Australia has to stop "bigging itself up" at the Olympics. As Americans and British rack up the medals, it is starting to feel like "look at me, look at me".

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:23 am

When I was a kid the Olympics were the pinnacle of sport. these days to this generation of Aussie athletes it's just another meet to try for pb, what a joke sending 17 athletes for every medal, USA send 5 per medal and bring back tonnes of medals. They obviously have coaches that teach the young athletes the meaning of the Olympics, too bad Aussie coaches and athletes think the Olympics is a place to be announced an Olympian even if you finish last, that is a huge achievement. We need to send medal hopes next time, not Olympian wannabes.

Pepper
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Pepper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:12 am

I was thinking we had done really well but it seems that all these medals we won were still not enough, When you look at some other countries we still dud quite well, 10th is not that bad,