What Yogurt Maker to Buy? Australian Yogurts are Loaded with Sugar & Salt

Relax, grab a hot cuppa coffee then sit back and talk about anything here! If you are unsure where to post then this is your forum to post your topic in. You can discuss topics about living in Australia or any subject you like.
Val

Post by Val » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:30 am

natural yogurt.jpg
natural yogurt.jpg (54.71 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Hi, I was at the supermarket yesterday looking at all the yogurt brands. I was surprised to see how much sugar and salt goes into each yogurt container. Even the best ones that I thought were very natural and had little sugar or salt had some in them like the Coles Natural Yogurt brand. I still think that is the best from what I can see and it tastes the most natural to me but I still would prefer to make my own now after seeing even that contains salt and sugar. I notice that in Australia there is a lot of horrible tasting GREEK yogurt that is very sweet and more like custard than yogurt.

So I would like to consider buying a yogurt maker. What products could I look at that are affordable?

related articles:

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/the-proble ... ogurt.html

http://www.thankyourbody.com/truth-yogurt/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

EDIT by Australia Forums:

If you are going to buy yogurt at Coles then this one in the pic below is by far the most natural, has the least chemicals, sugar and salt compared to the others. You can buy it from Coles or online here: Coles Natural Yogurt brand
Coles Natural Yogurt brand.jpg
Coles Natural Yogurt brand.jpg (15.67 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
Last edited by Val on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Val

Re: What Yogurt Maker to Buy? Australian Yogurts are Loaded with Sugar & Salt

Post by Val » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:17 am

I found a great article here:

https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-drin ... hy-yoghurt

My concerns with Greek yogurt are verified:
Greek yoghurt

Made by straining out the liquid whey, leaving the yoghurt thick and creamy, the association with the Mediterranean diet tends to give Greek yoghurt a healthy image. And although some brands can have higher protein, Greek yoghurt can also have higher saturated fat (up to 7g compared with around 4g for plain yoghurt), which helps make it thick and creamy.

The removal of the whey also means Greek yoghurt often has lower calcium levels. Some brands also add cream, but this is not a traditional ingredient. Yoghurts must conform to food standards pertaining to claims like "low fat", however there are no regulations in Australia specifying that a particular style of yoghurt, such as Greek, has to be made in a certain way or contain particular ingredients.
Greek-style

Not strained and often containing thickeners such as cream, milk solids, gelatin and gums, which are added to create a creamy texture.
Greek yogurt gets rid of the whey which is the "superfood" part of yogurt and the very reason why health experts have told us to eat yogurt as why is so good for you.

Val

Post by Val » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:29 am

Also mentioned on that article:
Yoghurt (also spelled "yogurt") is often marketed as a healthy, calcium-rich product. Yet some of the products in the supermarket fridge are closer to a "dairy-based dessert" than a health food.

BaRT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by BaRT » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:22 am

have you tried Kmart, Woolies, Coles, Big W, Target?

jessy

Post by jessy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:53 am

Would making your own be worth it? Some times the effort and time hardly makes making your own debatable on the time and effort used could be better spent elsewhere.

BPB

Post by BPB » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:34 am

so finally there is more awareness on the Australian yogurt scam:
"Our reserach has found that some manufacturers are turning yoghurt - which is normally a healthy food - into a dessert by adding excessive amounts of sugar or cream," Ms McAleese said.

The worst offenders were Gippsland Dairy Choc Cherry Twist with 7.5 teaspoons of sugar per serve and Tamar Valley Dairy's Greek Style yoghurt raspberry flavour (7 teaspoons).

Among the lowest-sugar flavoured yoghurts were Rokeby Farms whole protein Swedish style quark yoghurt coconut with 2.8 teaspoons of sugar per serve and the Ski D'Lite real yoghurt 25% les sugar strawberry (3.4 teaspoons).

Yoghurt can been a great source of calcium and protein but consumers must be on the look out for the hidden sugar, says Heart Foundation Victoria CEO Kellie Ann Jolly.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017 ... rn-experts