Australia Visa Options

This is the place to discuss Immigration & Visas to Australia. Find out what is the best visa to apply for to live or work in Australia or just to enjoy a holiday. Immigration, Visas & Tourist Information
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 am

Australia Visa Options

Post by movepicker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:29 am

Australia is an attractive country to visit or live in but it's also not an easy place to get into so you’ll need a visa for Australia and this page will show you various visa options available to you.

The good news is that the Australian government makes it easy to understand the visa application process, select an appropriate category and apply accordingly; Visa Wizard, the immigration department’s digital aid, walks travellers and expats alike through a step-by-step system that evaluates your reasons for coming to Australia, the duration of your intended stay, your nationality and your age to effectively advise which visas you’re eligible for. Furthermore, it provides information about how to apply for a specific class of visa, the associated costs, where to apply and more.

That said, though the application process may be streamlined and easy to navigate, it certainly doesn’t guarantee your entrance.

Australia claims an intimidating number of visa categories, and requirements vary immensely. Some merely demand a passport from a certain nation, some evaluate your skill level and education level based on a point system and some are based on familial connaection.

Regardless though, it’s always best to do as much research as possible prior to applying for your visa to Australia to simplify the process and to avoid complication.

Tourist visas for Australia

There are four primary categories of tourist visa for Australia, each suitable for a specific time period and for individuals of a specific nationality. It is advised that those applying for tourist visas do so at least two weeks prior to their intended date of travel.

Visitor visa for Australia (Subclass 976)

This visa is for tourists and travellers to Australia who are visiting for less than three months, and who hold passports from a designated list of nations.

Certain citizens can process their application online, while others can only apply through service providers, like tour operators, travel agents, etc.

This visa is not extendable and cannot be granted from within Australia. Thus, if you have travelled to Australia on this visa and wish to stay longer, you’ll need to apply for another visa at least two weeks prior to its expiration.

Visitor visa for Australia (Subclass 651)

This visa is for European passport holders or UK passport holders who wish to visit Australia for three months or less. It can only be applied for online, and the application must be made outside of Australia. No charge is associated with application.

Visa approval is granted via email notification, and it is merely necessary to show this notification to passport control upon arrival in Australia.

As with the subclass 976 visitor visa, this visa is not extendable, and travellers who wish to extend their stay in Australia will need to apply for a different visa at least two weeks prior to its expiration.

Visitor visa for Australia (Subclass 676)

This visa is for passport holders who do not qualify for a subclass 976 or subclass 651 visa, and for those who wish to extend their stay from within Australia. It qualifies successful applicants to stay in Australia for up to twelve months, and can also allow for multiple entries.

It claims the most demanding application process, and has different requirements for different situations. In general, applicants may be asked to prove they meet certain health requirements, that they meet certain character requirements, that they have appropriate insurance and that they have sufficient financial means.

Individuals can apply for this type of visa at their local Australian consulate or embassy, or can apply within Australia at the appropriate immigration department branch.

Visitor visa for Australia (Subclass 679)

This visa is for those who wish to visit a family member in Australia for 12 months or less. In order to apply, the family member you’re visiting must act as your sponsor, and must assume responsibility for you adhering to the rules associated with the visa. They must also either be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia who is over 18 years of age and who has been residing in Australia for at least two years.

As is the case with the subclass 676 visa, applicants for this visa type must meet certain requirements depending on their nationality and situation.

Application for this visa type can only be made by sponsors within Australia on behalf of applicants. Thus, it’s necessary to complete the visa application and then send it to the sponsor, who will do their half of the process and get the ball rolling.

Working visas for Australia

If you have a dream to live and work in the Land Down Under for a while, there are many different temporary working visas that you might be eligible for. Take the time to do your research before applying to ensure that you are entering into the appropriate category for your type of work and duration of stay.

Working holiday visas

Australia has a partnership with several countries which allows young people to visit Australia and work temporarily to fund their travels. This type of visa is not intended for those interested in permanent relocation, but it is for those who want the experience of living abroad in Australia for several months to a year, so that they can supplement their travel funds with short term work. It must be proved that travel is the primary reason for the visit, with working as a secondary intention to support the travel.

The duration of the visa is for 12 months, but visa holders are not allowed to work for more than 6 months with one employer. Applicants must be between the ages of 18-30 and can be from a number of accepted countries including the UK, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Korea, The Netherlands, Taiwan, Estonia, Belgium, Italy and more.

Applicants must have a passport which has at least a year of validity left on it as well as showing proof that they have enough funds to support themselves upon first arriving in Australia. This proof is usually in the form of a stamped and dated bank statement. Applicants must also not have any prior criminal convictions or any serious medical issues.

If working holiday visa holders complete at least three months of seasonal work, such as harvesting or picking crops in regional Australia, they will be eligible to apply for an extension to their original visa. Make sure that you keep evidence of your employment if you think you might want to apply for the extension.

Work and holiday visa (Subclass 462)

If you are from the USA, Thailand, Chile or Turkey you will not be able to apply for the Working Holiday Visa. If you are enrolled in or have graduated from a post-secondary institution then you will be able to apply. Other than this requirement, it is very similar to the Working Holiday Visa, allowing those between the ages of 18 and 30 to take an extended holiday while picking up temporary or casual employment during their visit.

Employer-sponsored work visa

If your primary purpose for coming to Australia is work and you can find an employer who would sponsor your visa, you could apply for a professional visa to live and work in Australia for up to four years. There are many visas available for this situation over a number of professions and occupations.

There are several different categories of employer-sponsored work visas, including:

• Temporary business visa – Standard Business Sponsorship: This is the most common type of visa for employers who want to bring in a working from overseas. The business must be able to prove that they cannot meet their recruitment needs by hiring an Australian employee and that by employing the temporary resident they are benefiting Australia.

• Educational visa: Teachers and education workers from overseas can obtain an Educational Work Visa in order to be employed at Australian schools for up to four years. You must be sponsored by the institution and have a position as a teacher, librarian, researcher, or academic.

• Medical practitioner visa: Trained doctors who want to work in Australia can be sponsored under this visa, by the hospital or by a small rural community or local council. You must be registered to practice in Australia via the correct state or territory Medical Board.

All of these temporary working visas require you to find an employer who is interested in sponsoring you. Your employer must first submit their nomination and sponsorship forms before you can apply for the visa.

Sponsored training visas for Australia

Occupational trainee visa

If you are at least 18 years of age and have been working in your current occupation for at least 12 months, you are eligible to take an occupational trainee program in Australia with a recognized Australian organization which nominates you. This visa will allow you to stay for two years, plus an extra two months after your training finishes to give you time to leave Australia or apply for a different visa.

In order to apply you must find an Australian organisation that is willing to train you and have them apply on your behalf. Then you can apply for the visa yourself via the Department of Immigration.

Trade skills training visa

This visa allows employers in regional Australia, who have not been able to find Australian workers to fill their positions, to hire foreign employees on an apprenticeship basis. These visas apply to trade occupations where there is a skill shortage and where no Australian can be found to fill the position.

Under this visa you will receive an apprentice wage while you are working, but you must also be able to prove that you can cover all of your living expenses while you are in Australia.

User avatar
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Australia Visa Options

Post by gaz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:43 pm

good info

User avatar
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Australia Visa Options

Post by gaz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:45 am

I will make this topic sticky for this forum since it offers good info for those interested in living here.

User avatar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Australia Visa Options

Post by BaRT » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:28 am

The Australian Government offers a helpful webpage “Life in Australia” for those wanting to live in Australia with some information on specific topics like “Becoming an Australian citizen”, “Learn to speak English” and a “Family safety pack”.

Savio Dmello
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Re: Australia Visa Options

Post by Savio Dmello » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Its Great Info and Very helpful...

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest